Video Item Preview
- Publication date
- [Hollywood, CA] : Encyclopaedia Britannica Films
- Internet Archive
Follows a young girl's hospital experience from admittance to recovery, introducing the various hospital staff members along the way.
- 2015-01-16 21:16:07
- The you. Clomid the or a. Mortgage. Oh yeah let's get an early where you. One thing Florida has. In most cities and towns in the United States there's a place people go when they need special medical help. The race. This is the pediatrics ward a section of the hospital for children are cared for the is. The country that. You have to wear this sound and then I want to ask you the question why. Mari Morgan has been bothered by sharp pains around her stomach or doctor is placed her in the hospital to find the cause of the pain it's all new to Lori. This. Book. This is one of the pediatrics nurses Lori will soon get to know she'll meet many different members of the hospital staff but it is the nurse who spends the most time with each patient. When the doctor is away the nurse follows his instructions. The nurse knows the nature of every person's illness and how do ease pain Mr Nurse are you doing. Doctors depend on the nurses to help at a moment's notice. Have a listen. Maybe we can let your wall today right there. And nurses are responsible for keeping records. So but the doctors are kept up to date on the progress of every patient. I dated a record is kept for every patient from the moment he arrives at the hospital. Right now. The alone. The hospital emergency ward is never closed. The combine came in an ambulance after a fell from a tree in the backyard. I've EVER had actually is a for no OK we're just going to use a film and put it under your leg now going to lecture like carefully. Oh OK That's good that I can. OK Bit. Now this is a caroling is I'm just going to bring it down. OK fine like that. Now that attorney leg up and I know that hurt. OK that's fine just like that you know whole very still and. This is an X. ray of Tom's leg and you can see in the middle portion of it here a little crack that goes right across the bone on the side of the oh you can say is that the crack is a deal longer how long will he have to stay in the hospital. Well we have to put him in a plaster cast and there may be some swelling so we like to keep in the hospital the day or two tubes are read make sure he's comfortable. When a bone is broken a plaster soaked bandages role not the plaster hardens to form a cast to keep the bone firmly in place so that it will mend properly. A fractured leg can become a permanent injury unless it is properly repaired and treated. In about two months when the cast is removed. Tom's leg will be as good as ever. Every new patient is examined by a member of the hospital staff. Mores never met this doctor before. He's called an intern. He's finishing his medical training. Hospital helps train new doctors by giving them experience in treating patients. Pressure nor blood pressure. This is a nation. Hearts force hearts ability to pump blood. Having any pain. Or hurting. Thank you. For all the worry about that will take care. Of. The. Story I have to take a blood sample from you today and to do it I have to stick your finger this is another person Laurie's never met before the laboratory technician here that in her very much now did us. A sample of Lori's blood will be examined very carefully to see if it's helping the condition of her blood may provide a clue to the reason for her pain and I'm going to make a picture of your blood. A. Slide is made so that the blood can be examined under a microscope. The technician counts the white and red cells of the blood and important piece of information for Laurie's right. In the hospital laboratories small samples of body liquid like blood or urine can be analyzed. Laboratory reports give doctors further information about the cause of a patient's owners. This is Laurie's doctor. He will study the laboratory report and then make a decision about what to do to help Laurie well have ten pennies for your appendix is what's making you sick Laurie this is what's causing you the pain in your terms and it's infected and it can get better by itself so we have to take it out there will be dressed all in green the tone think it were different. Be the same people and you'll see me except being a green suit. Although it will be a new experience for Laurie the hospital staff performs over thirty operations per day. Highlighting the war this table for each. Time the surgery room where all operations are performed has all the necessary equipment. Mores doctors a surgeon he will perform the operation. Will be within this to another doctor called an anesthesiologist make sure that Laurie feels no pain during the operation this is a NASCAR whiny is Laurie it's very similar to the ones with the astronaut to use when they're flying up around the Earth it said Stan your face Tigris ordinals or not and you can talk and then you right through it it may smell a little funny at first that mostly the rubber. That the mask is made up and then start with it I ordered slower slowly down here say so you get used to it. You said I had come and. Make you a little dizzy its first annual eyes will close in you from sleep just exactly like you. Let it touch the top of the nose now. Just breathe. Easily. Touch your face all the way around. You do and just fine. Every member of the surgical team has been carefully trained to perform a special job during the operation. Sometimes operations take many hours but Laurie's operation is not complicated it takes less than half an hour. No I'm not against doing just fine now she recovery I'm going to get out is here and so we're back in a room in about an hour an hour and a half. Be able to see or that punkin. I Lori. Your operations all over any and everything is just fine. Your appendix is out. Just go ahead and sleep now. It takes many people to help a patient get well as members of the hospital staff from the patient may never see. The pharmacy department responsible for providing medicines. Carried the food service department where meals for hospital patients are prepared I got addressing train number one the dietician make certain that the food for each patient is served according to doctors orders a lottery then. South a mast. The hospital laundry sees to it that plane linens are always right. There's a special department where materials and instruments are packed and sterilized so they'll be free of germs. And not everyone who comes to a hospital is a patient. When people are sick or injured it helps them to feel better when they're visited by family and friends. Every hospital has special time set aside for visitors. Yet. No one likes to be sick or have accidents but when a person becomes ill or seriously injured the hospital is always ready to help the purpose of every hospital is to help each patient get well enough to go home as soon as possible. By the time Laurie is well enough to be in the play room all she has to remind her of the operation is a small scar where her appendix used to be and the pain is gone. The anybody first and you. I. Live in your neck because you're gone. Home to. The right the it. When people need special medical. Hospital is near ready to give three months to those who work. All the if the. The the. Thirty The the. The the. The in the it. Via. A.
- Run time
- Internet Archive HTML5 Uploader 1.6.0
- Lasergraphics ScanStation
- Worldcat (source edition)
Reviewer: shimmmer101010 - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - December 4, 2016
Subject: Good but music made my ears bleed.
Subject: Good but music made my ears bleed.
Fascinating, this is an interesting documentary an would have been excellent in the 1960s for people who were about to go into to hospital for routine procedures and who had never been in hospital before but the music was more painful than appendicitis.
Reviewer: CaseySerin - - January 31, 2015
Subject: Bill Cosby turned white!
Subject: Bill Cosby turned white!
I think the description is wrong